Out of Home
Causes of homelessness and runaways are physical abuse, strained relationships, parental neglect, disruptive family, family’s crisis, for example non-affordable housing, limited employment opportunities, no medical insurance, parent’s divorce, or stepparent. This can also end up families homeless.
This is a percentage of the reason why people leave
Family Abuse 42.2%
Physical Abuse 3.8%
Sexual Abuse 1.1%
Alcohol/Drug Abuse 4.6%
School/Peer Pressure 14.2%
Other (pregnancy, Educational, and legal Issues 33.9%
If you plan to leave home you may want to bring as many thing as you need. You can also ask a friend and family if they have any household items they can spare, or check out:
• Second-hand shop
• Charity Shops
• Furniture Projects
• Car boot sales
• Adverts in the local paper
• Adverts in supermarkets and newspaper
If a friend leaves their home you can inform them that there are hotlines that are confidential and they can help you out, also there are different ways to control your situation. Sometimes it takes two to work things out. Or when you are in trouble all you need is a shine of light, on an alternative idea, which can make a difference.
TEEN RUNAWAY STATISTICS
• 1.3 & 2.3 million runaway & homeless young kids live in the streets in America each year.
• 1/7 youth will runaway before turning 18 yrs.
• Parents who take drugs also cause a large percent of runaway youth.
• 50% are youth men/girls, but females are more likely to get help through shelters & hotlines
• Almost 50% of youth leave their home because youth reported getting beaten by a character.
• Over a quarter of youth runaway from home because parents or caretakers request sexual activity, and 32% are forced to participate in sexual activity.
• 41% females seek into shelters for being pregnant
• 75% dropped out of school
• 26% youth are unsupervised and stay in unsafe places for 1 or more nights, 12% stay in a park, other places runaway and homeless stay are parks, street, under the bridge or over Hang or the roof top.
• 32% have attempted suicide at some point in their life.