Safe and Supportive Schools Resolution
: Rally & Introduction of the “Safe and Supportive Schools Resolution”! (flyer attached)
- : Community Rally on the steps of 555 Franklin Street (the district office)
- : Board of Education meeting where the resolution will be introduced
We have been working closely with Board of Education Commissioner Matt Haney to draft a resolution that reflects our demands and community input, and that will be introduced this coming Tuesday 12/10! We believe there is a lot of support for changing school discipline policies in SFUSD— but the truth is, changing systems is incredibly difficult. It is important that we show strong community support for this resolution and this campaign, to make sure that not only does this policy pass, but also that it is implemented intentionally and effectively!
The resolution will be introduced at the Board of Education meeting but the board will not be discussing or voting on the policy. There will be brief public comment on that item and also the opportunity to speak during general public comment in the beginning of the meeting. Once the resolution is introduced, it will go to committee in January—so there will be plenty of upcoming opportunities to be involved and support the campaign!
Join the Solutions Not Suspensions Campaign!
As of today, over 25 organizations have signed on to endorse the Solutions Not Suspensions campaign!
1. Bayview Magic
2. Brothers Making Change/100% College Prep
3. Center for Young Women's Development
6. Huckleberry Youth Programs
7. Instituto Familiar de la Raza, Inc.
8. Larkin Street Youth Services
9. Legal Services for Children
11. Mission Graduates
12. Mission Neighborhood Centers, Inc.
15. Public Counsel
16. Richmond District Neighborhood Center
17. San Francisco Rising Alliance
18. Solidarity Organizing Project
19. Sunset Youth Services
20. Support for Families
21. TAY Advisory Board
22. Teach for America- San Francisco
23. United Playaz
24. Young Community Developers
25. Youth Commission
26. Youth Leadership Institute
Will your organization join the growing numbers of groups that have endorsed this campaign? If yes, please respond to this email and let us know!
And as of today, we have collected over 450 supporter cards—if you have supporter cards, please let me know so we can pick them up from you!
Stand with the student and parent members of Coleman Advocates in demanding “Solutions Not Suspensions!”: fully resourced SFUSD schools that value the lives and success of all students by investing in proven positive interventions, rather than ineffective, aggressive and biased disciplinary measures.
Did you know that...
- CA schools issue more suspensions than diplomas.
- African American students are less than 10% of the student body in SF schools but make up more than 50% of the suspension rate.
- More than 75% of suspensions in SFUSD are African American and Latino students.
- Under the “willful defiance” suspension category, students can be suspended for things like forgetting their textbook, or leaving their hat on in class. Willful defiance suspensions make up nearly 42% of all suspensions in California and 37% of all SFUSD suspensions.
Our school discipline system is not working – for students or for educators. Multiple studies demonstrate that “zero tolerance” policies are ineffective in correcting misbehavior, increase the risk of students dropping out and becoming involved in the criminal justice system, and are disproportionately applied to students of color, particularly African American students.
Every young person has the right to a high quality education and to learn in a safe, respectful school environment. Growing numbers of schools are abandoning harsh school removal practices for proven, research-based alternatives that make schools safer, improve student achievement, increase graduation rates, and create a more positive school climate for teachers and students. In San Francisco , we can and we MUST do better for our students.
Join us in demanding SOLUTIONS NOT SUSPENSIONS!
- End the disproportionate suspensions of African American students and other students of color!
- Hold the district accountable for releasing data about suspension rates, and informing students and parents about their rights!
- Ensure that all schools to practice PBIS (Positive Behavioral Interventions & Supports) and Restorative Practices to create positive, accountable and responsible school climates for students, teachers and staff!
- End all suspensions for willful defiance and illegal "off-the-books" suspensions!
YFYI is accepting application
YFYI will release a Request for Proposals addressing the issue of police brutality in the youth community. More information on that and access to download the RFP can be found on the YFYI.org website starting. An info session to answer questions and review your proposals for this opportunity will be held in January. Registration for that workshop can be accessed on our website starting .
Please pass this along to your contacts and any young people you think will be interested in getting funding for their ideas!
CLICK HERE to download application
Like Our Fan Page
Like our Facebook Fan Page
for more information resources and support
including community events, and job postings
by clicking HERE!.
SFCC is recruiting members